Enjoy this list of the best homemade Christmas ornaments for kids. This is a list of easy Christmas decorations for parents and children to create together (that will actually turn out beautiful). These simple ornament ideas make for perfect kid-made Christmas gifts.
How do you make an easy homemade Christmas ornament?
It kind of drives me bonkers how most homemade Christmas ornaments have almost no-sign of kid participation or no chance of success.
Some are just too complicated or there is no way they’ll come out even close to what you were going for (hashtag Pinterest fail). I want ornaments that ARE kid made. I want the memories – even if the memories aren’t perfection.
So I went searching for super easy, super adorable homemade Christmas ornaments for kids that are actually doable with toddlers and preschoolers – and that’ll turn out looking oh-so-cute.
RELATED: Looking for more easy Christmas activities for kids? Check out my list of awesome simple options.
What kind of homemade Christmas ornaments for kids exist?
I have found (after about a decade of parenting and making homemade Christmas ornaments), that there are 3 basic categories with kids.
Well, two categories and one catch all.
For my list of 30+ homemade Christmas ornaments for kids, I broke the list apart into these three sections:
- Easy Dough Ornaments
- Popsicle Stick-Based Ornaments
- Other Fun Ornament Ideas
Ornaments do not have to be complicated to be awesome. Some of these are the simplest, cutest ideas that you’ve ever seen.
RELATED: Do you need new Christmas books for kids? I have a lovely list to share with you.
Can kids make their own Christmas ornaments?
YES! This is a great mixed list of ornaments kids can be totally independent in created, partially independent, or need a parent sitting with them to create.
Before you decide on a Christmas ornament for kids: consider it. Read and reread the directions. Ask yourself some questions: do you have time? When will you have time? How can you set this ornament activity up? Can you do it in multiple small steps?
Homemade ornaments get a bad reputation sometimes for their complexity – but really, just a little bit of planning is all you need to make it work.
Please note: Many of these blog posts were written before biodegradable glitter or the environmental impact of glitter was readily known. Please check out biodegradable glitter as a more eco-friendly option.
Easy Christmas Dough Ornaments
These ornaments use various types of dough: from cinnamon to baking soda, salt dough and clay. There are a lot of options here.
1. Cinnamon Dough Christmas Ornaments – Busy Toddler
2. Fingerprint Heart Ornament – Mama Papa Bubba
3. Salt Dough Ornament Recipe – The Best Ideas for Kids
4. Baking Soda Clay Handprint Ornament – Mama Papa Bubba
5. Salt Dough and Melted Beads Ornament – Where Imagination Grow
6. Cranberry Play Dough Ornaments – Natural Beach Living
7. Christmas Tree Salt Dough Ornaments – Mommy’s Bundle
8. Salad Spinner Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments – Emma’s Owl
1. Clay Baby Handprint Ornament – Messy Little Monster
2. Baking Soda Reindeer Ornament – Mama Papa Bubba
3. Santa Hand Print Ornaments – Messy Little Monster
4. Snowman Keepsake (Salt Dough) – Learning and Exploring Through Play
Popsicle stick based ornaments
1. Sparkly Star Craft for Toddlers – Toddler Approved
2. Craft Stick Christmas Tree Photo Ornament – Hello Wonderful
3. Snowflake Ornament Inspired by Frozen – Mommy’s Bundle
4. Pom Pom Christmas Tree Ornament – The Joy Sharing
5. Popsicle Snowflake Ornaments – The Best Ideas for Kids
6. Paper Straw Ornaments – The Soccer Mom Blog
7. Craft Stick Reindeer Ornaments – Fireflies and Mudpies
8. Pipe Cleaner Christmas Tree Ornaments – Red Ted Art
Other fun homemade Christmas ornament ideas
1. Handprint Snowmen Christmas Ornaments – Simple Fun for Kids
2. Perler Bead Ornaments – Mama in the Now
3. Egg Carton Bell Christmas Craft – Fantastic Fun and Learning
4. Christmas Wreath Ornaments – Play Teach Repeat
5. White Pipe Cleaner Trees – Artsy Crafty Mom
6. Pine Cone Christmas Tree Craft – Hello Wonderful
7. DIY Snow Globe Ornament – The Best Ideas for Kids
8. Easy Christmas Ornament for Toddlers – My Bored Toddler
1. Tin Foil Process Art Christmas Ornaments – Fantastic Fun and Learning
2. Heart Shaped Easy Christmas Ornaments for Kids – Crafts on Sea
3. Beaded Snowflake Ornament – No Time for Flashcards
4. Marble Painting Candy Cane Ornaments – Play Teach Repeat
5. Beaded Candy Cane Ornament (with name) – Fun-a-Day
6. Paper Christmas Ornament Craft – A Little Pinch of Perfect
7. Sparkly Christmas Ornament – Sparkling Buds
8. Nature Ornaments – Twitchettes
Frequently Asked Questions
Three year olds can make lots of these ornaments. My suggestion: the cinnamon dough ornaments. I’ve been making these with my kids since they were young toddlers and every year, they get cuter and cuter.
Nope! This is just a fun little extra if you feel like it. Please do not feel pressured to make homemade ornaments unless it’s something you want. Kids and memories and Christmases in the future will be fine with or without kid-made ornaments.
I think these popsicle stick ornaments from Hello, wonderful are the easiest. With or without the photo added, these are a great and easy Christmas ornament for kids to make.